Data security is increasingly important as there are a plethora of data breach attempts on businesses and institutions around the world. Higher education institutions are especially enticing to malicious hackers as they hold large quantities of financial data. NACAC has compiled this list of data security resources for higher education to help institutions protect student data and confidential information.
- Information Security Guide: Effective Practices and Solutions for Higher Education
This guide from the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) offers toolkits, case studies, effective practices, and recommendations to improve data security practices for higher education institutions.
- Educause on Data Breach
Educause offers many links to resources on handling a data breach, best security practices and sources of data breaches. Also, check out their cybersecurity resources.
- Data Breaches in Higher Education Institutions – UNH Scholars
This research paper provides a literature review of studies on data breaches in higher education and analyzes data on the types of data breaches from 2005-2017. The author finds that larger more financially well-off schools are targeted and that social security numbers are the most likely type of data stolen. About 31 percent of data breaches originate internally, according to the paper.
- Key Issues in Managing Data Breach Risk in Higher Education: Practical Tips for Before, During, and After
NACUA summarizes various data privacy laws. It provides suggestions for in-house counsel to assess and assist with institutional data-breach prevention efforts and to guide mitigation efforts during and after a data breach.
- College and University Data Breaches: Regulating Higher Education Cybersecurity Under State and Federal Law
This paper provides an overview of data breaches from the legal perspective and provides suggestions on how to respond.
- Data Protection Primer for Higher Education: Environmental Considerations, Culture, and Practices
Educause provides a general overview of data protection and the associated issues.
- Department of Education’s Data Breach Response Checklist
This checklist features critical breach response components and steps to assist organizations in building a comprehensive data breach response capability.
- Department of Education – Protecting Student Privacy for Postsecondary School Officials
The DOE offers multiple resources on responding to a data breach and showcases security best practices.
- AACRAO: EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
AACRAO offers many resources explaining GDPR and how prepare for/implement it.
- AACRAO: 10 Questions to Consider to Help Prevent Breaches in Student Record Security
AACRAO asks about employees’ levels of familiarity with data security that can be used to self-reflect or asses the security practices of an institution.
- Institute for Higher Education Policy: Privacy and Security
IHEP gives a list of resources on privacy and security issues in postsecondary data policy.