ACAC membership numbered 144 colleges in 1950. In October 1952 the constitution was revised to grant “associate” (nonvoting) member status to individuals from high schools. Full voting, institutional membership was extended to high schools in October 1955 (dues $6). At this time the Executive Board was expanded to include three members from the secondary sector. Annual conferences grew and developed programs to address concerns of a wider representation of members. An ACAC College Admission Center was established in 1958; a clearinghouse for colleges to review applications of college-bound students. Esther DeMerritt of Coe College was elected the first woman ACAC president in 1959. The College Handbook was a major revenue source for the association. Read more.
Expand / Collapse All