Answer each of these questions in a few words. These are your own thoughts. There are no “right” or “wrong” answers. Share them with your college counselor and parents as you begin to think about college.
- What do you think of when you hear the word “college”?
- Who do you know who goes to or has been to college? Where?
- Why do you think students continue on to college after high school?
- What jobs do you think require a college education?
- What colleges do you know about? How do you know about these colleges?
- What other things do you think that you can do in college besides study and take classes?
- Why do you want to go to college?
Adapted from Cabral, Joshua. “Addressing the Needs of First-Generation, College-Bound Students: A Comprehensive 5th–12th Grade Approach.” South Boston Harbor Academy Charter School.
Back to: Guidance for Freshmen