NACAC currently holds more than 55 fairs across the nation. Free to students, families and counselors, these events allow you to meet face-to face with college representatives. Visit NACAC's National College Fair section for more information on dates and locations.
Before the Fair
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I want to attend an extra large, large, medium or small school?
- What major do I wish to study?
- Do I want to attend an urban, suburban or rural school?
- Do I want to attend a 2 year, 4 year, single-sex or religiously-affiliated school?
- Do I want to participate in athletics, clubs, fraternities or sororities or special programs such as study abroad or cooperative education?
Register online for the fair at www.gotomyncf.com
to receive a barcode for easy onsite access to college representatives. Print the barcode and bring it to the fair as your electronic ID. Online registration leaves more time for you to meet one-on-one with admission representatives.
Research colleges attending the fair to determine if they meet your search criteria.
Make a list of questions to ask college representatives. Try to select questions that are insightful and are not easily answered in the literature.
At the Fair
- Pick up a fair directory and bag for all of the material you collect.
- Visit schools that match or are the closest match to your search criteria.
- Ask the same questions you have developed to each college representative you visit.
- Ask the college representative to scan your barcode. This will allow the representative to follow up with you directly—and quickly.
- Make notes about information that you found most interesting/helpful.
- Be adventurous. Don’t just talk to the “well known” schools.
- Attend an information session that is offered to gather information about the college search process, financial aid or whatever topics are available.
After the Fair
- Review information (Web sites, catalogs and viewbooks) to gather more information to help narrow your choices.
- Send a thank you note/email to the college representative as a way to reinforce your interest in the school.
Still Have Questions?: Visit the Student Registration FAQ page
Watch: Get Ready for NACAC National College Fairs
Back to: Guidance for Juniors